The roots of table tennis in Rochester go back to the 1930’s, as not one but TWO clubs were founded in the year 1938. Kurt Baker, before enlisting in WWII, started a club above the Capitol Theatre while Mike Borrelli was running a club on East Avenue. Ted Mosher and Tex Lloyd (then ranked #3 senior in the country) continued to run Baker’s club, but unfortunately, both clubs closed due to WWII. Organized play continued in local YMCA’s like the Central and Maplewood.
A large newspaper article in 1939 detailed Tex Lloyd’s fifth county championship at the Central YMCA. There were eighty eight entries for this tournament, sponsored by the Democrat and Chronicle, which included free entry and trip to the nationals in Toledo Ohio that year! ALL results from each round were in the newspaper, with detailed results from the quarterfinals through championship match.